Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Surprised by...silk and shrimp

I'll admit it, I'm an animal fiber yarn snob. I love wool, cashmere, alpaca, and quivit yarns dearly. Cotton and silk, not so much. I think it has a lot to do with the feel of cotton and silk (sort of dry?) and how badly my hands and wrists feel after working with them for any length of time. So, much to my surprise last night when I tried on the first sock made from the Blackberry Ridge Wool Silk sport wt blend I had in the stash (purchased as part of this kit) and I loved how it felt on my foot. Stunned. I was forcing myself to knit up the yarn from these well aged Blackberry kits (from my B.K.=before kids days) before I dove head first into my new Socks that Rock yarns. Now, I may just have to give silk a second chance. Who knew I'd like it so much? Here's a picture of the sock:I started off thinking that lots of cables would look nice, but ended up just with them at the top cuff. Reminds me a bit of my Fetching mitts. I kept the rib through the foot because the yarn isn't very elastic and needed the structural assistance.

Also in the surprising category, the Tofutsies socks. I will not buy this yarn again, but the socks are very nice (currently wearing them as I type). Do you think people with shellfish allergies can work with this stuff or wear it? I really respect the ethics of used waste products from industries to make new yarns, but the feel of the yarn did not wow me as I worked with it.
After the second silky sock is made, I'm going to crank out a third BBR sock in the green and blue mix. Perhaps I'll try toe up, because I don't have a whole lot of yarn and want to make matching socks (lengthwise). I have white and various other BBR scraps that can be used to stripe the leg if need be. Thinking cap will be required for that project; I'm not a fan of toe up and will need to proceed with caution. After these socks are done, I'm going to take a hard look at that Bird in the Hand Mitten and see if it is going to the frog pond.

No comments: