Monday, January 7, 2008

Out of the fog

We are living in a cottony world today, again. A week ago we were surrounded by days worth of winter foggy weirdness and it has returned. I thought fog was pretty cool in the past. I used to teach meteorology and have found it beautiful. Now, I'm just tired of it. Plus, driving in it is very dangerous; case in point...a huge pile up on the interstate near us yesterday. Trying to shake the winter blahs, I cast on for these socks.
Blackberry Ridge 100% wool sport wt. hand dyed by me with some Kool-aid. The pattern is Broadripple and adjusted to sport wt gauge. I like this pattern a lot, as it seems to play nicely with the multi-colored yarns. Easy to remember too, which is nice.

So, where were the other projects I had going. Hmm, they must be around here somewhere....
Oh, the Tofutsies socks. Making progress, but the yarn is doing a number on my hands and wrists. I somehow was too distracted by the tofu and seafood fiber contents to notice that they are 25% cotton. Ugh. Cotton yarn will be the death of me, or at least my wrists. The socks feel nice, but I need to spread out the knitting a bit so I'm not cringing in pain.

The Bird in the Hand mittens were supposed to be my carrot for all of the gift knitting I did last month. Unfortunately, they are a pain in the hand to knit. No offense to the designer. They are lovely. However, knitting worsted wt on size 2 needles is a bit rough. I'd much rather do this with a nice sport wt in the future, but what is started is going to continue. Let's just say they are very, um, sturdy.

Perfect timing was experienced today when I pulled out a package from the mailbox...my Socks that Rock yarn from Blue Moon Fiber Arts. Lovely! I got Lucy in light wt: Backstabber in light wt and Count Cluckula in medium, but the camera seems to have eaten that picture. So pretty. I'm forcing myself to knit up the Broadripples first before I cast on one of those newbies. I think I'll just leave them around the house to enjoy.

From my recent fall down the felting hole, the SWS bowl and the BBR boxes.The SWS bowl is just wonderful. I especially like the pentagon in the center. It is now spending some quality time with my dining room table. The boxes were immediately put into use by my older boys for wearing as mini fez hats and ferrying toys around the house. I also gave them some felted pouches made from Galway scrapes from years ago to be used as sleeping bags for stuffed animals. One is striped, the other is dark green. Both being put to good use.

No comments: